tarachilds

Living vicariously through YA

I am a thirty something stay-at-home mom who found that the perfect escape sometimes comes in the form of a book where the worst problems are supernatural and filled with teen angst.

Awake at Dawn
C.C. Hunter
The Nightmare Affair
Mindee Arnett

Review: Dust and Decay

Dust & Decay  - Jonathan Maberry

This is the second book in the Benny Imura series by Jonathan Maberry

I really liked the first book, Rot and Ruin.  It was refreshing to read a zombie book that was not all about killing zombies for survival.  Don't get me wrong... They do kill zombies, but Maberry treats zombies with respect.  Tom teaches the young Benny to value the humans that they used to be and the families who still love and miss the people who they were.

With Dust and Decay, we pick up where we left off at the end of Rot and Ruin.  In this adventure, the group leaves the safety of Mountainside in search of the mysterious jet plane they saw at the end of the first book.  They take along Benny's best friend for a little camping trip in the Ruin before they take off for good. Of course, the little camping trip does not go as planned and they discover that there are new dangers and a new regime trying to take over Charlie Pinkeye's old territory and these new guys may be even more cruel and crazy than Charlie was (if that is possible).

Although I enjoyed this book, I found that at times I grew a bit impatient with the pacing.  About halfway through the group gets separated and so the chapters start to jump around from one character to another.   The ending is strong and everything comes together in the end.

This book also introduces a lot of the friends and other bounty hunters who were just hinted at in the first book.  I really liked the introduction of new characters and they were able to shed some more light on Tom's character and how important he is in the Rot and Ruin.

Really, when it comes down to it. This book is the classic good vs. evil set up.   Maberry continues to make you think about human nature and the choices people make in the name of survival.

In the end, I was not as in love with this book as I was with the first book in the series.  The series is losing steam for me.   I am not sure if I will keep reading on or if I just need another extended break from the series.  At any rate, I still appreciate what Maberry did with this series.