tarachilds

Living vicariously through YA

I am a thirty something stay-at-home mom who found that the perfect escape sometimes comes in the form of a book where the worst problems are supernatural and filled with teen angst.

Awake at Dawn
C.C. Hunter
The Nightmare Affair
Mindee Arnett

Review: Born at Midnight

Born at Midnight - C.C. Hunter

This is the deal... I like to walk around book stores and pick up books that seem interesting.  I love to pick up books and read the little blurbs and sometimes one will scream at me to buy it.   Well, this happened to me a few months ago with the book Taken at Dusk.  I bought it and when I went to read it I realized that this was the 3rd book in the series [insert sad face here].  I am one of those people who has to read series in the correct order.  I just am, and I don't plan on getting help for this condition either.

So here I am and finally I have begun the series.

The beginning of the book had me worried because I found that I was not really enjoying the book.  Seriously, I thought I was going to get stuck with 3 books that I either was not going to read and that would be a waste of money.  No one wants to waste money, right?  At first I had a really hard time liking Kylie.  It is hard for me to put a finger on it, but I am going to try.  She just seemed so self-involved (which I know is supposed to be  teen girl thing) and sooo judgmental!  Then when the whole romance started up (or really didn't) with Derek I wanted to scream at the book every time she compared him to her ex.  Give the poor boy a break!

About halfway through the book, a strange thing happened.  I started to like her more.  Really, I think that just like the other kinds at Shadow Falls... I saw some good qualities in her and wanted to give her a chance.  Actually, there are still some things that annoy me about her, but I overlook them.

Overall, I enjoyed my introduction to Shadow Falls Camp and loved getting to know the other characters.  Her ghost and the mystery surrounded him was also fun to read about and it was even more fun to find out the deal with him.

C.C. Hunter did a nice job tying up some of the story lines, but she did leave one major question unanswered.  Authors of series are evil like that.

Thankfully, I have the other 2 books in the series so I hopefully will get that question answered soon.